East London Humanists made an important contribution to the panel at the annual Faith Forum event at New City College in Hackney on 21 February. The speakers at this 2 1/2 hour event came from a range of faiths and beliefs. Each spoke in turn about how their belief influences their lives. Students put questions to each speaker in turn. This was followed by a general Q&A session and a lively debate. The meeting exposed the dearth of knowledge about Humanism among this group of young people, and a thirst to know more about it. For many it appears to be the first time they have heard anyone describe how it is possible to lead a good, meaningful and happy life without a belief in God. The speakers pictured from left to right represent the following religions/beliefs: Sikh;Buddhist; (organiser;chair;organiser; chair) ; evangelical Christian;Humanist; Evangelical Christian; Jew. (The Muslim and Scientologist speakers stand at either end and are out of shot)
News & Views
- Irish revolution
- Fake News!
- Nipping bigotry in the bud
- New City College. A thought provoking event
- Charity begins at home. Or does it?
- Lovely Social Evening on 14th February
- Pastoral Care
- Eating Animals
- Christmas. Whats in a name?
- The Miracle of Stratford
- Barking Breakthrough!
- Catching up. The struggle for equality in N.Ireland
- Humanists get spiritual in Redbridge!
- Divided Communities
- Charlie Gard and the religious meddlers.
- My Tweets